One of the points in our message this weekend is that if we are maturing in our discipleship then it will be evidenced by our growing in biblical knowledge. The best book we can read to grow in biblical knowledge is obviously the Bible. Outside the Bible I would like to recommend several authors that will help further your learning and discipleship:
- Tim Keller
- David Platt
- Mark Batterson
- Francis Chan
- Beth Moore
- Kay Arthur
- C.S. Lewis
- A.W. Tozer
There are certainly many others but those are a good place to start.
Just some random things in the life of an ADD pastor:) We have been back from vacation for 4 days and here is a window into that scene:
- We had a phenomenal time away!!! Not perfect but phenomenal. Wonderful memories.
- The North GA mountains are gorgeous!
- My brother and his family came for almost a week – that was awesome!
- Dear friends of ours came in for a long weekend – we love them dearly!
- Denise’s parents came for a couple weeks – they are great people – seriously:)!
- We finished off our family vacation with the staff, elders, wives and kids joining us for a retreat. In every area of the retreat my expectations were met or exceeded – mainly exceeded. What an absolutely incredible group of people who love God and love our church! Honored and privileged to serve with them!!
- We got back in late Friday afternoon.
- I cut the grass that night
- Saturday I went to the church early and studied for a few hours to tweak my sermon and get out of vaca mode.
- Saturday afternoon I went and hung out with Phil Nicolosi and a few guys from the St. Aug campus. Phil is remodeling a house to move into and the guys were helping him.
- We also had a St. Aug campus pastor prospect in town for the weekend with his family. They met up with us at Phil’s house and then I took them to our campus and spent some time together.
- Got back to the house in time to change and head to church and get ready for our Sat night service.
- After an incredible service our family and our campus prospect and his family went to the Johnson household to hang out and fellowship.
- 5 kids under 3 there -that was fun:)
- Sunday morning 3 more great services!! Great worship and lots of energy.
- Lots of visitors!
- We kicked off Romans for the Summer – LOVE that!!!
- Sunday afternoon went out to lunch w family and friends.
- Sunday night elder meeting over dinner with our wives and the campus pastor prospect and his wife.
- That lasted about 3 hours. Alot of tears were shed – more about that at a later date but our time was sweet.
- Clean up – go home – straight to bed for this guy!!!
- Mon morning 2 mile run – get Denise and Seth off to student Summer Camp – staff meeting – lunch with staff (I sure missed them while I was away) – some afternoon reading – run an errand – very encouraging call from a man in our church that I consider a dear friend – dinner with my folks – then go to Dunkin Donuts by myself and study for about 1 1/2 hours (small Rocky Road milkshake – slowly easing out of vaca mode still:) Get home at 11 and go straight to bed!
- This morning – 2 mile run – breakfast at Subway, text a couple pastor friends, study here for 1 1/2 hours – send a few emails – type this blog – mentally prepare for more bachelor life this week while Denise and Seth are at Camp.
- Work the rest of this day.
- Go fishing tonight at 5 with a young guy that I love dearly!
- Enjoying some sweet time with God – glad to be back – Love Parkview and love the privilege of pastoring!!!
- Praying for our students at camp
- Denise and Seth, I miss you and look forward to when you get home Friday!!
I CAN’T WAIT FOR THE WEEKEND but first I must tell you about yesterday!!! Yesterday was just one of those days – one of those awesome, incredible, phenomenal days for which every pastor would dream. I will give you the run down of the whole day:)
- Time with the Lord
- 4 mile run
- a little study
- ministry phone call
- meet with a couple, hear what God is doing in their life and they both commit to be baptized this weekend
- go to lunch with the family to celebrate Mom’s bday
- Meet a couple at their house. The guy gets saved (he is in his 70′s and was so ready) and he commits to baptism
- Back to the office and about 2 hours of study and some final tweaks to the weekend message
- meet with another couple and they both commit to baptism
- 5 people commit to baptism and 1 person trusts Christ!!! WOW!!!!! WHAT A DAY!!!!!
- the icing on the cake was that Denise was able to be a part of all my appts!
The message this weekend is highly relevant!!!! If you ever have to make decisions or have to try to figure out God’s plan for your life then you will not want to miss the weekend.
Come ready to hear from God, ready to offer up your best worship and ready to celebrate with those getting baptized!!!!
See you in Palm Coast Sat at 6pm or Sun 9, 10:15 or 11:30am – St. Augustine at 10am.